It seems nowadays everywhere you go you see people on laptops and tapping away on PDAs. These little gadgets can seem intimidating at first, but ultimately provide many conveniences to make your life run smoother. Many of the programs used can save you time and help you get organized. BUT! How do you use them??? Well, did you know that computer classes are available through the Fountaindale Public Library District? These one time, two hour classes are free of charge and are offered to our adult patrons. The classes are intended to give users a basic introduction to a particular computer application program and we currently offer the following:
- Basic Computing – If you’ve never used a computer before, or you just need a refresher this class is for you. You will learn computer terms and receive hands-on instruction. You will learn how to turn the computer on and off, operate the mouse, open and close programs and files, and save and print documents
- Getting Started on the Internet – This class covers the basics of the Internet and you will learn how to perform simple searches and learn the basics of a web browser and email fundamentals. We will show you how to sign up for a free e-mail account online.
- Introduction to Microsoft Word - This class provides an introduction to word processing and teaches the basic features of Word 2007. We will cover opening a document, saving a document, and printing a document. We will also cover how to cut and paste, and how to make basic formatting changes.
- Microsoft Power Point – This class will cover the basics of PowerPoint, Microsoft’s presentation software. It will cover how to create a slide, how to add text and graphics to a slide, as well as how to add effects to the presentation.
- Excel - This class will teach the basics of the Excel spreadsheet program. In this introductory class you will learn how to create, navigate and format a worksheet. In addition, you will also learn how to create formulas and save a workbook.
- Intermediate Excel - In this class you will build upon the basics learned in the first Excel class by teaching the database functions of the program. You will learn many things including how to sort, filter, and link cells.
Registration is required and classes fill up quickly, so don’t wait to sign up for the next available class. Registration for September classes is now open so visit us online to save your seat. You can also give us a call to register at 630-685-4176, or stop by the Information Desk located downstairs. Our friendly staff is ready to help you, and we love to see new faces at the library.
Filed under: Programs, Rozie, Technology, Uncategorized, Upcoming programs | Tagged: adult learning, basic computing, excel, free computer classes, internet, microsoft word, powerpoint | Leave a Comment »